Wednesday 3 August 2011

Munchkin!

I'd never heard of Munchkin before the lecture last week, and I'd certainly never played it before the tutorial. I have a handful of friends who are really into Dungeons & Dragons and other tabletop gaming, but I've never really gotten into it myself. Munchkin, on the other hand, doesn't take itself seriously like D&D and I rather enjoyed the parody aspect of it.
My group was a little hesitant at first, we had to read the rules several times before we actually started dealing out the cards. After a few dodgy and timid turns from everyone, we started to understand the rules more fully and got into it. We played open-handed, and it was interesting to see people pointing out different cards and strategies to the other players. It was a fun tutorial and I find myself looking forward to another game of Munchkin, especially since I was the closest to winning last week! 
As a game, it wasn't overly complicated (once we got the hang of it) but it wasn't dull or simple either. The silly art, comic curses and bizarre monsters were most amusing.


Edit: I actually purchased a copy of the game myself, and have since played several games with my friends. I think I'm getting pretty good at it, actually! Once all the players get the hang of it, it becomes much more interesting and challenging as players do all they can to drag each other down!

No comments:

Post a Comment